  From: Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic
  To: Terrence W. DEACON ; 'Bob Logan' ; l...@leydesdorff.net ; 'fis'
  Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 11:02 AM
  Subject: Re: [Fis] What is ³Agent²?

  Dear Terry, Bob, Loet

  Thank you for sharing those important thoughts about possible choices for the
definition of agency.

  I would like to add one more perspective that I find in Pedro’s article which
makes a distinction between matter-energy aspects and informational aspects of
the same physical reality. I believe that on the fundamental level of
information physics we have a good ND simplest example how those two entangled
aspects can be formally framed.
  As far as I can tell, Terrys definition covers chemical and biological agency.
  Do we want to include apart from fundamental physics also full cognitive and
social agency which are very much dominated by informational aspects (symbols
and language)?
  Obviously there is no information without physical implementation, but when
we think about epistemology and the ways we know the world, for us and other
biological agents there is no physical interaction without informational
aspects.
  Can we somehow think in terms those two faces of agency?
  Without matter/energy nothing will happen, nothing can act in the world but
that which happens and anyone registers it, has informational side to it.
  For human agency (given that matter/energy side is functioning) information
is what to a high degree drives agency.

  Do you think this would be a fruitful path to pursue, with “agency” of
elementary particles and agency of social institutions as two limit cases?

  All the best,
  Gordana

  Gordana Dodig Crnkovic, Professor of Computer Science
  Chalmers University of Technology
  School of Innovation, Design and Engineering, Mälardalen University
  http://www.mrtc.mdh.se/~gdc/
  General Chair of is4si summit 2017
  http://is4si-2017.org