Dear Gordana,

On 20 Oct 2017, at 11:02, Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic wrote:

Dear Terry, Bob, Loet

Thank you for sharing those important thoughts about possible choices for the definition of agency.

I would like to add one more perspective that I find in Pedro’s article which makes a distinction between matter-energy aspects and informational aspects of the same physical reality. I believe that on the fundamental level of information physics we have a good ND simplest example how those two entangled aspects can be formally framed. As far as I can tell, Terrys definition covers chemical and biological agency. Do we want to include apart from fundamental physics also full cognitive and social agency which are very much dominated by informational aspects (symbols and language)?
Obviously there is no information without physical implementation,

Hmm... I am not sure. Elementary arithmetic determines all semi- computable relative information state (with Oracles). So, with the numbers, once you accept the addition laws and the multiplication laws, information "grows" from inside, and consciousness differentiates. When the information get deeper and deeper, in Bennett sense of debth, dreams can stabilize and physical reality are "correctly" inferred, and eventually derived from arithmetic.

That might not make your point below invalid.

It is yet an important metaphysical point. The incompleteness theorem entails the existence of a sort of canonical information flux, or consciousness differentiation internal to elementary arithmetic, or elementary combinators, or to any universal machinery (universal in the mathematical Church-Turing-Post-Kleene sense).

We can decide to consider the arithmetical beings being zombies, but this would entails a very special definition of matter to make it differ from the testable "arithmetical distribution".

We can't have weak mechanism and weak materialism, and the evidences might side on a mathematical (somehow theological or psychological) origin of the physical reality.

Incompleteness entails that all (platonist, classical reasoner machine) are confronted with many different, and conflicting, views about itself. Indeed it enforces the Theaetetus' distinctions, between true, provable, knowable, observable, sensible:

p,
[]p,
[]p&p,
[]p&~[]f,
[]p&~[]f&p

With p sigma_1 arithmetical (equivalently: partial computable) this gives a proposition account of a theology, testable as it explains how the physical laws emerges from some "dream percolation" in arithmetic.

The physical is very important, but like in Plato, it could be, and seemed to be, the border of another non physical, more mathematical, plausibly arithmetical, reality.

but when we think about epistemology and the ways we know the world, for us and other biological agents there is no physical interaction without informational aspects.
Can we somehow think in terms those two faces of agency?
Without matter/energy nothing will happen, nothing can act in the world but that which happens and anyone registers it, has informational side to it.

Without matter/energy nothing physical will happen. But if we assume a very weak form of digital mechanism, arithmetic justfies limiting dreams, with rich indexical, relative amount of information, from "inside arithmetic". And what we take as the physical might be what emerges from a first person statistics on those dreams.

The logic of which is testable, and up to now, it matches the data (thanks to QM without coilapse of the wave).

It is just premature to conclude that information (in the 1p and 3p sense) needs the physical. The physical might be an invariant in a notion of normal sharable number dream. (A dream can be defined by a computation containing the emulation of a Löbian machine (they know they are universal) with respect to different or not universal numbers.

In arithmetic, the universal numbers infers that below their substitution level, if it exists, they are confronted to a statistics on infinity of universal numbers, and above, locally, only with a finite (but huge) number of universal machine/number.

I am aware I ask a huge spiritual or theological effort, coming back to Plotinus, and Parmenides, and Plato, if not Pythagoras.

But in epistemology, computable can be defined in very elementary theories and languages. The deep reason is the closure of the partial computable functions for cantor diagonalization (Gödel's called that a Miracle), and its price: the non computability of most predicate on most machines behaviors (like halting), and the loss of control and the art of letting go the things which go without saying.

The universal (Löbian) machine can already defeat all normative or reductionist theory about their first person. They know that their soul is not a machine!

For human agency (given that matter/energy side is functioning) information is what to a high degree drives agency.

OK.

Do you think this would be a fruitful path to pursue, with “agency” of elementary particles and agency of social institutions as two limit cases?

Agency of elementary particles? I am not sure this would not make all the number relations into an agent. Social institution are closer, perhaps even more the corporations, but none are really autonomous. I don't know.

This was my second (and last) post of the week.

All the best and best to All,

Bruno

Gordana

Gordana Dodig Crnkovic, Professor of Computer Science
Chalmers University of Technology
School of Innovation, Design and Engineering, Mälardalen University
http://www.mrtc.mdh.se/~gdc/
General Chair of is4si summit 2017
http://is4si-2017.org