Hi Krassimir and all,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I did hear about how there was a an exciting debate going on here
about the definition of information and apparently the principles of
information.  I've glanced through the archives and see there have
been many great ideas proposed.

I thought I would add my own perspective to it.  I am from a computer
programming background,  so data would be a more natural word than
reflections.  However I also made an auxlang (Pyash) which has a
vocabulary that intersected about 30k English words, left me with
about 8k words to work with, in it there is no word for information,
or data,
however there is a word for description, belief, truth, real and
knowledge.

I'd like to give my axiomatic perspective of the principles on
information science.

0. A belief is an independent-clause (sentence).
0a)  You can call it an information packet or w/e you prefer.

1. Truth is a private belief.
1a) A person has a cluster of harmonious beliefs which form a template
for sieving input.
1b) Beliefs which align with the template are "True".
1c) Beliefs which are not applicable to the template are noise or
confusing.
1d) Beliefs which conflict with the template are either discarded, or
the template is modified to align with them. (to avoid cognitive
dissonance).

2. Knowledge consists of experienced beliefs, typically those that
have been subsumed by the template. For instance "false" belief could
subsume as beliefs held by an other community.

3. Real are the mutual beliefs of a community of people.
3a)  By Integrated Information Theory, even protons have some
consciousness. for example an atom communicates it's beliefs about
it's location and frequency when probed by a photon. So the beliefs of
"inanimate matter" must also be taken into consideration of what is
real. The beliefs of inanimate matter, as measured by mechanical and
electronic tools are typically what is described as "objective reality".

4. Dialogue is the exchange of beliefs.

On 2017-10-31 10:07 AM, Krassimir Markov wrote:
> Dear FIS Colleagues,
>
> What is the proper attitude to the ocean of the data we create and
>  perceive?

Each of us has our own template.

> The Modern Societies -------------------- Every group of Infoses,
> people in particular, forms a society if there is an agreement for
>  communication interactions. An important element of this agreement
>  is the availability of a common data base.

Each group has their own reality (though most intersect with objective
reality).

> Scientists do not assume anything in advance

While that may be ideal, it's difficult to achieve as each scientist
has their own template of the world.

> and try to make reasoning based only on repeatable and controlled
> experiments.

For sure, I think the scientific method is what makes science.
Repeatable controlled experiments are what lead to practical innovation.

> I hope, the FIS List is a scientific forum and all posts nave to be
> based on repeatable and controlled experiments!

For sure.

So for example the above principles, can have some experiments.

For the belief template, can use a toUpper function as a straw example,
it will convert any input that is the lower-case ASCII range, an
upper-case ASCII range, and either discard or return any other inputs,
as they don't fit it's template.

A more complicated function may be able to process a greater range of
inputs.

string.h is a community of persons that believe series of integers end
in 0's.  C-strings are real to them.

Though there is an issue with those examples,  mainly that since they
are state-less feed-forward functions they aren't conscious. Perhaps
you can come up with some better examples or counter-examples?

> P1. Information is information, neither matter nor energy.
>
> M1. Information is a class of reflections in material entities. Not
> every reflection is information. Only subjectively comprehended
> reflections are information.

I also prefer M1 here.

Though I'd say that "subjectively comprehended reflections" is an
example of exclusively integrated information (to use IIT terminology).

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729