On 6 Nov 2017 at 5:30AM, John Collier wrote:

In fact I would argue that the notion of information as used in physics is
empirically based just as it is in the cognitive sciences. Our problem is to
find what underlies both.

   Yes, there have already been serious attempts in this direction, though
which may not yet have received due attention from the folks interested in the
issue of information.

   One example is the entropy production fluctuation theorem by Gavin Crooks
(1999).  The agenda is on the distinction between states and events in
thermodynamics. An essence is seen in the uniqueness of thermodynamics allowing
for even the non-state or history-dependent variable such as heat. This
perspective is powerful enough to precipitate a dependable synthesis out of
integrating both the state and the process descriptions.

   When a microscopic system of interest contacts a heat bath, its development
along an arbitrary trajectory of the state attributes of the system necessarily
accompanies the associated event of heat flow either to or from the bath. If
the trajectory is accompanied by the heat flow to the bath over any finite time
interval, it would be far more likely compared with the reversed trajectory
absorbing the same amount of heat flow from the bath. This has been a main
message from Crooks’ fluctuation theorem. One practical implication of the
theorem is that if the trajectory happens to constitute a loop, the likely loop
must be the one having the net positive heat flow to the bath. For the reversed
loop trajectory would have to come to accompany the same amount of heat flow
from the bath back into the inside of the system, and that would be far less
likely. Any robust loop trajectory appearing in biochemistry and biology must
be either clockwise or anti-clockwise, and by no means an undisciplined mix of
the two.

   A lesson we could learn from this pedagogical example is that thermodynamics
is a naturalized tool for making macroscopic events out of the state attributes
on the microscopic level irrespectively of whether or not it may have already
been called informational. It is quite different from what statistical
mechanics has accomplished so far. Something called quantum thermodynamics is
gaining its momentum somewhere these days.

   Koichiro Matsuno