What Luhmann does not do is provide any insight about important related questions, such as how political processes interact with and flow through institutions, nor how individuals can or should orient ourselves within those processes, nor what we should do about pathological institutions. Nor (as far as I know) does Luhmann offer a theory of information that makes claims for application beyond the scope of his own inquiry. I don't think it makes sense to consult Luhmann when looking for the answers to these questions, nor to dismiss him for not providing the answers.

There are many on this list who know Luhmann's work much better than I do, so I stand ready to be corrected!

Dai

On 08/11/17 18:27, Joseph Brenner wrote:
Dear Jose Javier,
Thank you very much for your constructive response to my note. I respect your view of Luhmann and his constructivism (?), which you have certainly correctly summarized in a few words. However, what the Lupasco theory of actuality and potentiality does is to offer some ontological basis for both, grounded in physics and is hence in my opinion hence worthy of some modicum of our attention. It /is /possible to talk about reality without the pretty little diagrams and calculus of Spencer-Brown. Luhmann talks about the "constant interplay" between actual and potential, their /ineinanderstehen/, but there is no functional relation to the mundane properties of real physical systems. As Loet showed at the time, Luhmannian structures can be defined /analytically/, but that is not enough for me. And  a key point: why 'constant' interplay? Is there something wrong, or is it just too real, to include discontinuities as equally important as continuities? It should be clear that I completely disagree with the place given to Luhmann in current thought. Luhmann perhaps deserves some historical credit for basing  his theory on information. However, I follow Christian Fuchs who said in 2006 that "The function of Luhmann's theory for society is that it is completely useless". Society does not "contain" human beings: society is a group of human beings composed of individuals and the group and their contradictorial relations and dynamics. Luhmann stated that the "ground of being" is at the same time actuality and potentiality, but tells us nothing about their nature and rules for their evolution. Meaning cannot be a /unity/ of actualization and potentialization (or re- and re-). In unity, the two lose their necessary specificity and basis for change. Luhmann took human beings as agents out of his system, and replaced them with abstractions. Fascist ideology is not far away. If people would spend 1/20 the time on Lupasco that they do on Pierce and Luhmann, . . .
Best regards,
Joseph
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Jose Javier Blanco Rivero <mailto:javierwe...@gmail.com>
*To:* Joseph Brenner <mailto:joe.bren...@bluewin.ch>
*Sent:* Wednesday, November 08, 2017 11:20 AM
*Subject:* Re: [Fis] Fw: Idealism and Materialism - and Empiricism

Dear Joseph,

Luhmann's concept of meaning (Sinn) is defined exactly as the unity of the difference between actuality and potentiality. Maybe there an answer can be found. Besides, Luhmann's Sinn can also be translated as information since it regards redundancy and selection. Luhmann self referred to Sinn (which I'd rather to translate as sensemaking) as information processing.

Best regards