Dear All,

Herewith some notes on the exchanges of past weeks (sorry, I was away in bureaucratic tasks).

1. Agents & Information. There were very good insights exchanged; probably both terms make a fertile marriage. Actually I have been writing about "informational entities" or "subjects" as receivers/builders of information but taking into account the other disciplines around, "agents" look as the most natural companion of information. The only thing I don't quite like is that they usually appear as abstract, disembodied communicative entities that do not need self-producing. Their communication is free from whatever life maintenance...

2. Eigenvectors of communication. Taking the motif from Loet, and continuing with the above, could we say that the life cycle itself establishes the eigenvectors of communication? It is intriguing that maintenance, persistence, self-propagation are the essential motives of communication for whatever life entities (from bacteria to ourselves). With the complexity increase there appear new, more sophisticated directions, but the basic ones probably remain intact. What could be these essential directions of communication?

3. About logics in the pre-science, Joseph is quite right demanding that discussion to accompany principles or basic problems. Actually principles, rules, theories, etc. are interconnected or should be by a logic (or several logics?) in order to give validity and coherence to the different combinations of elements. For instance, in the biomolecular realm there is a fascinating interplay of activation and inhibition among the participating molecular partners (enzymes and proteins) as active elements. I am not aware that classical ideas from Jacob (La Logique du vivant) have been sufficiently continued; it is not about Crick's Central Dogma but about the logic of pathways, circuits, modules, etc. Probably both Torday and Ji have their own ideas about that-- I would be curious to hear from them.

4. I loved Michel's response to Arturo's challenge. I think that the two "zeros" I mentioned days ago (the unsolved themes around the cycle and around the observer) imply both multidisciplinary thinking and philosophical speculation...

Best wishes--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta 0
50009 Zaragoza, Spain