Dear Loet,

Shannon "information" is indeed counter-intuitive, and we have John von
Neumann's joke to thank for that confusion.Shannon asked von Nuemann what
to name his formula. von Neumann told him to name it "entropy", because his
metric is "formally identical to von Boltzmann's probabilistic measure of
entropy, and because no one really knows what entropy is, so you'll be
ahead in any argument!" Whence the conflation of entropy with Shannon's
measure of diversity.

"Meaningful information" is calculated in Bayesian fashion by comparing the
*differences* between the apriori and aposteriori distributions (or sender
and receiver in the *subdiscipline* of communication). It is called the
"average mutual information", (AMI) which serves as a form of "proto
meaning" -- detractors of the Shannon approach notwithstanding. You, in
fact, have published numerous fine papers centered about AMI.

The residual between entropy and AMI is called the "conditional entropy".
This warns us to be careful concerning entropy and information: The
probabilistic entropy of both Boltzmann and Shannon doesn't quite
characterize true entropy. <
https://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/ECOCOMP2.pdf> It encompasses *both*
didactic constraint (AMI) and its absence (an apophasis).  (Entropy,
strictly speaking, is an apophasis, which is why we have such trouble
wrapping our minds around the concept!) Thermodynamic entropy, measured by
heat and temperature, comes closer to grasping the true nature of the
apophasis, but even there ambiguity remained, and it became necessary to
postulate the third law of thermodynamics. (Entropy at zero degrees Kelvin
is zero.) (N.b., physicists "define" entropy as the Boltzmann formula in a
vain effort to "sanitize" thermodynamics. The messy engineering roots of
thermodynamics have always been an irritant for physicists, going all the
way back to the time of Carnot.)

And so we need to be careful when approaching the concepts of information
and entropy. We need to think first before dismissing the Shannon approach
as having no relation to meaning (albeit in a primitive fashion), and we
need always to keep in mind that *both* concepts are always relative in
nature -- never absolute! <https://people.clas.ufl.edu/ulan/files/FISPAP.pdf

My best to all,
Bob U.