Dear FISers,

The recent message by Sung (& Karl), and a previous one by John T. make me the impression that what they are considering becomes closer to a meta-science of information rather than to the nucleus of a possible information science discipline. Sung's and John's views are widely different but both share a translation of fundamental principles of life's organization slanted towards the physical. A detailed critique of their contents is beyond the scope of the present message (previously, it is a must applauding the very brilliant contents both have developed in their respective research).

To the point: imagine we have a computer, a lap top, then--what should be the fundamental explanation of its functioning? It depends on the audience, of course. In principle, it does not make much sense to relate it to solid state physics and electronics unless we are talking to engineers working in VLSI design; rather, depending on the subjects' user level we will need some basics of programming and computer science (von Neumann scheme, Turing machine, commercial informatics, etc.). Imagining now the parallel with the living cell, a sort of "reverse-engineering" approach to the informational scheme of the cell is needed, but a new one, as present views are still terribly biased by classical molecular biology (Crick's "Central Dogma"), shallow systems biology, and uninteresting Darwinian tenets. Without systematically entering the external "information flow", the inner informational architectures, the different codes related to the variety of functions, the structure of a life cycle, the molecular "meaning"of exchanged signals, etc., and tying good portions of all that stuff in formal terms, our explanation will not be relevant in information terms.

Bioenergetics parties have already done their fundamental work. See for instance the arch in between the "energy flow" by Morowitz in the 60's and the "scaling" work by Geoffrey West in our times. Bio-information parties are far away from constituting a similar explanatory arch. And this is in my view the very nucleus of info sci as a consistent discipline. Beyond that we can enter many other theoretical tools already developed, and ascend in scales of complexity to the emerging communicational realms stemming out from Life. That some of the new communicational/semiotic/economic/cultural realms become more or less independent, at least in the way they are currently conceptualized, seems OK. We should not forget, however, that the human life cycle, with all its materiality and aspirations, stands at the very heart of everything we may exchange, from conversation to goods, to money, to artworks.

Otherwise, prematurely going towards a grand narrative connected with physics, or with maths, becomes close to a strategic error as we overextend a confuse info idea into a meta-science (taking this with a pinch of salt, as one never knows how our Gordian knot will be cut). Maybe it is better leaving the possible extensions/overextensions into the critical hands of information philosophy practitioners.

Best wishes

--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta 0