Dear Pedro and Colleagues,

I have been following the thread of comments with great interest, all of  which have all been occasioned by John Torday's profound insights about the nature of evolutionary development in light of the importance of cell-cell signaling and molecular biology.  From the comments, it is clear that there is a strong impulse to seek a means of integrating the role of symbiogenesis, viruses and mobile elements, multilevel selection, niche construction, genomic plasticity into a common narrative with an informational perspective at its foundation.     In the spirit of that line of discussion, I am offering two links that discuss evolution as an biologic information management system. Some of this work shares direct commonality with John's, since he and I are frequent collaborators.

http://www.mdpi.com/2079-7737/5/2/21/htm

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S007961071730233X

Both of these articles can be considered as complementary to Pedro's very fine article, 'How prokaryotes ‘encode’ their environment: Systemic tools for organizing the information flow', which is in BioSystems.

I am grateful to John for inviting me to participate in the forum and to Pedro for encouraging me to share these manuscripts.

Best regards,
Bill

William B. Miller, Jr., M.D.
602-463-5236