Loet wrote:

At the level of observers, indeed, a hierarchy may be involved for the
change of focus (although this is empirical  and not necessarily the case).
The communication, however, as a system different from the communicators
may contain mechanisms such as "translation" which make it possible to
redirect.

 Koichiro wrote:

At issue must be how something looking like a chain of command could happen
to emerge without presuming such a chain in the beginning. Prerequisite to
its emergence would be the well-being of each participant taken care of
locally, as a replenishable inevitable. That is an issue of the origins of
life. The impending agenda is on something general universal as an object,
and yet concrete particular enough in process.

A comment here:  there are two hierarchies possible in these phenomena: one
is the compositional hierarchy: [higher level [focus of actions [lower
level]]], or [context [action in focus [possibilities]]]. Three levels must
always be in consideration, giving: [permissive ecosystem [participant
actions [enchainment process]]].

The other is the subsumptive hierarchy:  {possibilities -> {choice ->
{refinement}}}. Here a chain might keep going into further modifications,
and the chain branches as well. The context is represented here in the
possibilities.

STAN