I'm still trying to solve my problems with control-y.
The problem is that control-y is not recognized. (Does anyone else
have this problem?)
Some more debugging showed me what fish is doing.
while it is waiting for a key, it is on the line:
    res = select( fd_max, &fd, 0, 0, 0 );
in input_common.c in readb() . When select() exits, input should be
available, and fish proceeds to
read_blocked() in common.c, where it calls read().

At least that is what is supposed to happen. For some reason, when I
press control-y on my machine, select exits, but the next call to
read() has no data available, so it blocks.

I'm not sure why this happens, I'm actually not sure how fish does all
its magic. It probably has to do with terminfo, and which keys are
initialized in input_terminfo_init()...

control-y seems to produce suspend in a program. When ctrl-y is
entered, then the next time read() exits, a normal program suspends.

Maybe I have the wrong ncurses installed? I have 5.4.... I installed
fish initially through fink, though now I compile it.

I don't know if this is a related problem, or not, but I also can't
use esc-key for any key (usually, that would be esc-d...). I can use
alt-key, though

Michael