The way you set the tab is outputting codes to standard out.  But, fish
controls the title, which is why it works in bash, but not in fish.  If you
use the script changes I sent, you can get your intention w/o writing
directly to standard out.

The -e option to echo enables the backslashes for the escape codes you were
using.  That works identically in fish.

So, again, this has nothing to do with standard out, or -e, but has to do
with the fact that fish controls the terminal.

-Dave