On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Gareth Skinner <g...@sknr.org> wrote:

> Hi fish-users,
>
> In bash, you can hit Ctrl-x-e to open your current command line in
> $EDITOR, make your modifications, and the shell runs your command when you
> exit. It also exists in zsh:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/890620/unable-to-have-bash-like-c-x-e-in-zsh
>
> I've been playing around with fish and sorely miss this feature. I can't
> find it in fish -- does it exist?
>
> Thanks,
> Gareth

I'm afraid you can't. The documentation does not mention such possibility:
Command line editor

The fish editor features copy and paste, a searchable history and many
editor functions that can be bound to special keyboard shortcuts.

Here are some of the commands available in the editor:

   - Tab completes <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#completion>
   the current token.
   - Home or Ctrl-A moves the cursor to the beginning of the line.
   - End or Ctrl-E moves to the end of line. If the cursor is already at
   the end of the line, and an autosuggestion is available, End or Ctrl-E
   accepts the autosuggestion.
   - Left (or Ctrl-B) and Right (or Ctrl-F) move the cursor left or right
   by one character. If the cursor is already at the end of the line, and an
   autosuggestion is available, the Right key and the Ctrl-F combination
   accept the suggestion.
   - Alt-Left and Alt-Right move the cursor one word left or right, or
   moves forward/backward in the directory history if the command line is
   empty.
   - Up and Down search the command history for the previous/next command
   containing the string that was specified on the commandline before the
   search was started. If the commandline was empty when the search started,
   all commands match. See the history
   <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#history>section for more
   information on history searching.
   - Alt-Up and Alt-Down search the command history for the previous/next
   token containing the token under the cursor before the search was started.
   If the commandline was not on a token when the search started, all tokens
   match. See the history
   <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#history>section for more
   information on history searching.
   - Delete and Backspace removes one character forwards or backwards
   respectively.
   - Ctrl-C deletes the entire line.
   - Ctrl-D delete one character to the right of the cursor. If the command
   line is empty, Ctrl-D will exit fish.
   - Ctrl-K moves contents from the cursor to the end of line to the
   killring <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#killring>.
   - Ctrl-U moves contents from the beginning of line to the cursor to the
   killring <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#killring>.
   - Ctrl-L clears and repaints the screen.
   - Ctrl-W moves the previous word to the killring
   <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#killring>.
   - Alt-D moves the next word to the killring
   <http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#killring>.
   - Alt-W prints a short description of the command under the cursor.
   - Alt-L lists the contents of the current directory, unless the cursor
   is over a directory argument, in which case the contents of that directory
   will be listed.
   - Alt-P adds the string '| less;' to the end of the job under the
   cursor. The result is that the output of the command will be paged.
   - Alt-C capitalizes the current word.
   - Alt-U makes the current word uppercase.

You can change these key bindings using the bind
<http://fishshell.com/docs/current/commands.html#bind> builtin command.