This is my first time posting to this list, so, apologies if this
question has already been asked or answered before.

Because (sadly) most people using UNIX-like operating systems do not
have fish installed, it is generally a bad idea to write scripts in fish
for everyone to use, because fish (luckily) deviates from the Bourne
shell syntax in some ways.

Therefore, if I distribute a script written in fish, I want to be able
to include a header at the top so I can check if fish is executing the
shell. If not, either run the bourne shell version, or print an error
message. If fish IS running the script, just continue.

It would look something like this, in pseudocode.

if fish is in $PATH
        fish $THIS_FILE
end

if $FISH_VERSION is zero length
        echo "You need to download fish."
        echo "Go to http://www.fishshell.com.";
        exit 1
end

rest of fish script here

exit 0

The reason that I want to do this is because most people will just get
rid of my program if they don't know what to do with it. Unfortunately,
most people have not even /heard/ of fish.

--
Daniel Roskams (rocketpenguin) <rocket.peng...@riseup.net>