On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Luciano ES <lucm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any documentation on the limits that fish can handle as a
> script language? I can't find any. To wit, I'd like to know how many
> nested loops one can have, how many nested if clauses one can have,
> and how large lists and arrays can be.

The fish shell has no hard code limits on such things. You're essentially
limited by available memory (or virtual address space). We do have some
limits. Such as the recently introduced limit on how much data the `read`
builtin will consume (10 MiB by default) to avoid a mistake causing a OOM
condition.

Having said all that fish is not designed or meant to handle huge amounts
of data or complicated algorithms. But that is true for any shell. If
you're doing something where such limits are a concern you should be using
a different language such as C++, Java or Python.

--
Kurtis Rader