On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> In the colors tab of fish_config, there's no color to give to common
> completion prefixes which I could change.  (There's also no color for
> globbing patterns * and ? which are currently almost invisible: a very
> light yellow on white background.)
>
> After a bit of fiddeling, I found out that the common completion prefix
> is printed visibly (underlined) when I change my terminal from black
> foreground on white background to white foreground on black background,
> but I don't want to do that.
>
> I tried with both urxvt and gnome-terminal (TERM is xterm-256color in
> both cases).  On a Linux VT, the completion is actually visible.
>
> So what should I do?

Yes, we don't expose these colours in the Web configuration yet. They get
set to colours that work well in black terminals, but not in light
terminals, by the setup routines in `__fish_config_interactive`. Most of
us using fish from pre-2.4.0 will have the old colours set, which work
well in all terminals.

You can control these colours by editing the fish_pager_color variables.
Mine are set to:
set -U fish_pager_color_completion normal
set -U fish_pager_color_description '555'  'yellow'
set -U fish_pager_color_prefix cyan
set -U fish_pager_color_progress cyan

That works well on dark terminals, and OK on light terminals. I use both
(because I like to make life difficult).

I've opened an issue to remind us to make our "defaults" a bit saner:
  https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/3893

David Adam
fish committer
zanc...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au