On Sat, Oct 7, 2017, at 17:50, Mark Volkmann wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Greg Reagle <greg.rea...@umbc.edu> wrote:
> > As far as I understand, it is not true that it "manage to only recall
> > commands that belong to the current session".  Fish remembers commands
> > from previous sessions.  In your article you have "How does this one
> > file keep a separate history for each session?"  Why do you think that?
> > I don't think it's true.
> >

> Here's what I did that made me think this:
> - open a new fish session
> - enter commands like "ls" and "date"
> - open another new fish session from within the first
>   (In my case I did this by creating a new tmux pane, not by just
>   entering
> "fish".)
> - press up arrow to recall the last two commands and note that they are
> the
> ones from the first session,
>   so the new session is aware of those
> - enter commands in the second session like "cd foo" and "cd -"
> - press up arrow to recall the last two commands and note that these cd
> commands are present
> - switch to the first session
> - press up arrow to recall the last command and not that it is not one of
> the cd commands from the second session

I get the same type of behavior, using separate terminal emulator
windows in X11 (multiple st windows, where st is like xterm) and not
using tmux, so I don't think tmux in particular is relevant here.   If
you close both fish sessions and then start a new one, you'll see all
the commands from both sessions are in the history.

> So it seems that each new session starts with the command history of its
> parent, but then maintains its own after that.
> Is this wrong? Perhaps my use of tmux is the key to my misunderstanding.

I think that your conclusion does not follow.  I don't know the
internals of fish session history and how sessions' history interact
with each other as I am just a fish user, not a fish developer.  If you
examine the fish history file, you'll see that there is no information
about which session.  And if you close all fish sessions and open a new
one, the history of all sessions will be there and "unified".