The documentation is incorrect due to a copy/paste mistake. I am the person
who implemented "set -show". It is a debug tool. It is not meant to be used
in the same way "set -q" is meant to be used. Restricting the scope would
defeat the purpose of "set --show" as the intent is to help people
understand why, for example, the uvar value isn't being used because it has
been shadowed by a global or local scope.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Lee Walsh <leeawa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The usage signature for set --show suggests that scope options are
> available:
>
> set ( -S | --show ) [SCOPE_OPTIONS] [VARIABLE_NAME]...
>
> However, it seems that anything in SCOPE_OPTIONS is rejected:
>
> ~> set myvarname my var vals
>
> ~> set --show myvarname
> $myvarname: not set in local scope
> $myvarname: set in global scope, unexported, with 3 elements
> $myvarname[1]: length=2 value=|my|
> $myvarname[2]: length=3 value=|var|
> $myvarname[3]: length=4 value=|vals|
> $myvarname: not set in universal scope
>
> ~> set --show --global myvarname
> set: Invalid combination of options
> set: Type 'help set' for related documentation
>
> ~> fish --version
> fish, version 3.0.2
>
> My expected (and preferred) behavior would restrict the output information
> to the scope (and export status), for example:
>
> ~> set --show --local myvarname
> $myvarname: not set in local scope
>
> ~> set --show --global myvarname
> $myvarname: set in global scope, unexported, with 3 elements
> $myvarname[1]: length=2 value=|my|
> $myvarname[2]: length=3 value=|var|
> $myvarname[3]: length=4 value=|vals|
>
> This would parallel set --query:
>
> ~> set --query myvarname; echo $status
> 0
> ~> set --query --local myvarname; echo $status
> 1
> ~> set --query --global myvarname; echo $status
> 0
>
> Any thoughts on the intended behavior? To my interpretation, either the
> behavior or the documentation is incorrect.
>
> Lee Walsh

Kurtis Rader