Hi all,

I am pleased to announce the release of version 3.4.0 of fish.

With over 1000 commits since fish 3.3.0, this release fixes some
longstanding issues (command substitutions can be used in quotes with
"$()" to prevent line splitting), adds more command-line tools to the
fish_config tool, and extends the fish language to include more scopes.

Notably, there is also a potential security issue when using fish in its
default configuration with untrusted git repositories which has been
fixed (CVE-2022-20001).

The tarball and packages for Linux, macOS and Windows will soon be
available from https://fishshell.com/ and the release notes will be at
https://fishshell.com/release_notes.html - but in the meantime I have
uploaded the release to the GitHub releases page at:
  https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/releases/tag/3.4.0

The Linux packages will be submitted to the release:3 channel, and if
you are using your system package manager to install fish from these
channels a new version will make its way to you soon. If you'd like to use
this method, the links are:
  https://launchpad.net/~fish-shell/+archive/ubuntu/release-3 (Ubuntu)

https://software.opensuse.org//download.html?project=shells%3Afish%3Arelease%3A3&package=fish
  (Debian, Fedora, openSUSE and Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

A pull request for Homebrew will be submitted shortly, making the new
version available soon via upgrading or running `brew install fish`.

For our distributors, the tarball is available at
https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/releases/download/3.4.0/fish-3.4.0.tar.xz

The SHA-256 sum is
b5b48ab8486b19ef716a32f7f46b88b9ea5356155f0e967ee99f4093645413c5 and the
tarball has a signature from my personal PGP key, as does this message.

It's my pleasure to welcome the new contributors who have commits in the
tree since 3.3.0:

  Adam Skoufis, Andrey Mishchenko, Aniruddh Agarwal, Anselm Schüler,
  Ariel Fermani, Avindra Goolcharan, Branch Vincent, Daniel Eklöf,
  Daniil Baturin, Dundar Göc, Emily Seville, Erik Serrander, Evan Chen,
  Evan Miller, ewtoombs, Fabian, Ian Chamberlain, Jakub Panek, Jan
  Palus, Jean Mertz, Jenn Wheeler, Jony, Jose Riha, LetMeByte, Lia
  Lenckowski, Marcin Zajączkowski, Marco Scardovi, Marius Müller, Missu,
  Nadav Zingerman, NextAlone, Nils K, Noorhteen Raja NJ, Pablo Santiago
  Blum de Aguiar, Pascal Huber, Pierrick Guillaume, radiantly, Raman
  Gupta, Shay Aviv, Siavash Askari Nasr, Spenser Black, Tair
  Sabyrgaliyev, takeokunn, Takumi Kameyama, thibault, Tristan
  McLain, Victor Diaz, Yaksh Bariya, zaleoth, zeertzjq, and 百地 希留耶

Thanks also go to our returning contributors:

  Aaron Gyes, aca, Akatsuki Rui, Alexander Sieg, Andrew Schulman, Collin
  Styles, exploide, Fabian Homborg, Ilan Cosman, Ilya Grigoriev, Jason
  Nader, Jeff Dickey, Johannes Altmanninger, Kevin Konrad, Kid,
  lelgenio, Luca Weiss, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi, Martin Pool, Max Nordlund,
  mtoohey31, Rosen Penev, Sam Yu, Sergei Morozov, and, as always, our
  lead maintainer, ridiculousfish*.

*: although reminding your contributors of the existence of Angband and
sending them down a many-week relapse in an addiction they thought was
past them is probably not something to go in the book on managing
software projects.

I hope you find the new release of the fish shell to spark joy.

David Adam
fish committer
zanc...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au