On Tue Mar 15, 2022 at 9:33 PM PDT, Luciano ES wrote:
> I am using a very old version of fish

what version of fish are you using?

> I have this in my config.fish file:
>
> function fish_command_not_found --on-event fish_command_not_found
>       if test $argv = "kickball"
>               echo "goal!"
>       else
>               echo Ooops! $argv
>       end
> end
>
> Testing it:
>
> $ sdfg
> Ooops! sdfg
> fish: Unknown command 'sdfg'
>
> $ kickball
> goal!
> fish: Unknown command 'kickball'
>
> It works, but I don't want fish to print that last 'Unknown command' line.
> Can I turn it off?

i was able to test what you have in your config.fish file and i get the
following:

$ kickball
goal!
$ bam!
Ooops! bam!
$ fish --version
fish, version 3.3.1

the above looks to be your desired behaviour, so any more recent version
of fish _should_ do this.

if you are stuck on an old version of fish, perhaps check out the
following after commenting out those lines in your config.fish:

$ functions fish_command_not_found

based on the output of that command, you'll likely see if it calls the
handler which in my case points to:

__fish_default_command_not_found_handler

run the same on that:

$ functions __fish_default_command_not_found_handler

ideally, unless your fish version is truly ancient, this will show you
where your __fish_default_command_not_found_handler is defined, in which
case you can try editing *that* file if you must (consider backing it up
first in case) to get your desired behaviour.

best,
ak