I haven't studied this thoroughly, but perhaps the return code is supposed to distinguish bad streams from good streams. Every stream must end eventually, but that does not mean there is an error with the stream. You're wanting a return code that tells you whether to continue processing blocks or stop, regardless of whether or not there was an error ... the API is providing a return code that tells you whether the stream is good or bad, with no indication of whether or not the stream has ended.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting