Hi Stuart & List,

I think I found the topic you mention and this is what I understood from it:

tar -xzf flashboot-SNAP-20101224.tar.gz
cd flashboot
export WORKDIR=sandbox
mkdir -p ${WORKDIR}
tar -xzf ../base49.tgz -C ${WORKDIR}/
tar -xzf ../etc49.tgz -C ${WORKDIR}/
tar -xzf ../comp49.tgz -C ${WORKDIR}/
tar -xzf ../man49.tgz -C ${WORKDIR}/
tar -xzf ../src.tar.gz -C ${WORKDIR}/usr/src/
tar -xzf ../sys.tar.gz -C ${WORKDIR}/usr/src/
mv ${WORKDIR}/dev ${WORKDIR}/dev-orig
mkdir ${WORKDIR}/dev
mount_mfs -o nosuid -s 32768 /dev/wd0b ${WORKDIR}/dev
cp -p ${WORKDIR}/dev-orig/MAKEDEV ${WORKDIR}/dev/MAKEDEV
cd ${WORKDIR}/dev/
./MAKEDEV all
cd -
cp -p mk-mini.conf ${WORKDIR}/mk-mini.conf
chroot ${WORKDIR} /bin/ksh
export MAKECONF=/mk-mini.conf
cd /sys/arch/i386/conf
config RAMDISK
cd ../compile/RAMDISK
make clean ; make depend ; make
cd /usr/src
make obj
cd /usr/src/etc
env DESTDIR=/ sudo make distrib-dirs
cd /usr/src
make SUDO=sudo build

I have some doubts if I need to do the "config RAMDISK" and the "make clean ; make depend ; make" since that builds a 'regular' openbsd kernel. But I don't think it hurts either.

Anyway; the build finished without problems and now I'm a bit lost about what I should do the topic talks about changin flash-dist to 'workdir' in build-bindist.sh but dat file doesn't have a reference to flash-dist.

build-kernel.sh, for example, does but 4.9 doesn't like the GENERIC-RD kernel. Copying the RAMDISK kernel from regular BSD; starts building but quits with a missing library "des".

It does create a bsd (just not the bsd.gz) but that kernel doesn't boot completely and than reboots.

I assume I have to make my own "GENERIC-RD" but where do I start?

Note: I haven't tried the script yet that was posted earlier today. I will try that tomorrow. But from first glance it doesn't look a lot different from what I did manually.

Mark

Stuart Henderson writes:

It is possible but you need to do things a different way.
Use a chroot jail rather than DESTDIR which no longer works.
See the list archives for more info