>Does anyone have any links to good resources or advice to give ?

Avoid, if possible :)

Make sure you encode your XML as UTF-8, if possible, write a good schema for
your data format (this is not easy) and if file size is a serious
consideration(which it always is), I'd recommend either using device fonts,
or if that's not acceptable for aesthetic reasons, use the dreaded shared
font libraries. This is almost definitely going to cause you much pain and
suffering, unless you can publish to flash 8, which seems to fix most of the
associated problems with it.

Consider making or utilizing an existing component framework to handle
textfields - the main objective is to ensure a single point of failure for
fonts - ideally there should be only 1 textfield, or one class which creates
text, that is responsible for all glyph embedding.

If you have non-latin characters, make sure you use fonts which actually
*have* those characters in them - some fonts don't include extended
character sets.

Check out Ivan Dembicki's shared font manager:
http://www.sharedfonts.com/

ASV is immensely useful for isolating problems with missing font glyphs
http://www.buraks.com/asv/

SwfMill is worth looking into for creating font libraries, as it will give
you a level of control greater than that in the IDE.
http://iterative.org/swfmill/

I could write a book on this subject, to be honest - there's so much stuff
that can go wrong. But I've found that having a single point of failure for
font glyphs is the number one priority. After that, the most likely thing to
break is the XML, which is why a strict schema will be very helpful.

Possibly consider using something like ripple to structure your XML, as this
will also help you to create a non-flash alternative, which will be
indexable by google, and give you a starting point for the format of the
XML:

http://osflash.org/ripple/data_structure

Anyway, I'm going to stop now, because this whole topic fills me with dread.

Good luck!
Alias