One of the downsides of Flash (7 and 8) regarding components is that its not
easy to change the look and feel, not to mention
skinning, which is a pain.
With Flex 2 this has become soooooo easy.
Everything (or almost) can be done through CSS (internal and external),
including embedding assets (jpg, gif, png, swf, swf library
symbols).
Embedded assets can be used as skins for components, like Buttons for instance.

Here's an example, where I have a ToggleButtonBar containing a few buttons
(these are standard Flex 2 components).
Each button has the same look and feel, defined by a CSS style.

.toggleButton {
    upSkin: Embed("assets/TabButton.swf#up_skin");
    selectedUpSkin: Embed("assets/TabButton.swf#up_skin_selected");
    overSkin: Embed("assets/TabButton.swf#over_skin");
    selectedOverSkin: Embed("assets/TabButton.swf#over_skin_selected");
    downSkin: Embed("assets/TabButton.swf#down_skin");
    selectedDownSkin: Embed("assets/TabButton.swf#down_skin_selected");

    borderStyle: none;
    /* hide the default focus rectangle*/
    focusThickness: 0;
}

<mx:ToggleButtonBar horizontalGap="5" buttonStyleName="toggleButton"
buttonWidth="100" >
    <mx:Button label="Home" width="100" />
    <mx:Button label="About" width="100" />
    <mx:Button label="Work" width="100" />
    <mx:Button label="Downloads" width="100" />
    <mx:Button label="Contact" width="100"/>
</mx:ToggleButtonBar>

Doing something similar in Flash requires one to first create a custom
component (no ToggleButtonBar in Flash) which would probably
take a day or 2 to get it right.
This is just *one* aspect of Flex 2. There's lots more.

On top of it all, if you know Flash/XML/CSS, there's hardly any learning curve.

regards,
Muzak