just downcast your variable using 'Boolean()' to a new variable which IS a boolean...

var my_boolean_string:String = "true";
var my_boolean:Boolean = Boolean(my_boolean_string);
if(my_boolean == true) {
        trace("cool");
} else {
        trace("nope");
}

hth,
Cedric

hi.

i'm receiving FlashVars in my object and embed code and the values are
either "true" or "false". i assume they're brought into flash as
strings and i need them as booleans.

it is my understanding that boolean() won't do what i want because all
it does is evaluate the expression inside the parantheses instead of
converting the value to a boolean. i also read a very brief comment on
livedocs that the appropriate way to do it is cast to a number first
and then a boolean. but that doesn't make sense to me.

anyone have any experience with this?

thanks. -- matt.