AS3 noob question ahoy!

I'm reading the AS3 reference trying to get accustomed to the idea, but some things (though they look better) i don't really get right away :)
Hence my feeling of incredible stupidity.

I realise the AS3 in the reference is Flex-related, but in Flash IDE terms, how would i do something like this in AS3:

var baseClip = _root.createEmptyMovieClip("gameworld",1);
var backGround = baseClip.createEmptyMovieClip("game_bg",1);

I get how much more practical myClip = new MovieClip(); looks, but i don't get how i connect a clip created this way with the traditional clip hierarchy. Is that out the window as well? The reference describes |DisplayObjectContainer.addChild(), but i'm guessing this doesnt really count for how it'll work in the Flash IDE?

Any helpful hints at what the future holds? :)

- Andreas