I had an idea.  Not sure if it's a good one.

Flash is pretty good with optimizing all local var names to shorter ones like _1 and _2 which does make decompiled code a bit tougher to read.

What if I took it just a step further and in one or two of my main classes I added something like this:

/**
 * Fake function to deter decompiling
 * Function not actually used by class.
 **/
public var handleComputations () {
  // Maybe 10 or 20 lines of nonsensical but compileable
  // code using the local vars so that variable
  // names appear to be used inside this function but
  // this function isn't actually ever called by the class.
  // Maybe use uncommon routines with some bit shifts
  // and complex mathmatical equations to make it look scary.
}

Overall it might make the swf 1KB or so bigger but might be worth it if it added a frustrating day or two to a decompiler especially if they don't figure out right away that the function is never called.

Any thoughts?

JOR

===  James O'Reilly
===