"Sure Flash can talk straight to a database! All you need to do is set the connection string or something!"

-> shure it can not, it needs a server side language of your choice to do so.

to clear things up.

- you have a html form with a flash movie embedded.

- the html form calls a server side script to submit the data of the form to a database.

- the html form can only send variables which are in its scope.

- as you have a flash movie embedded in your form you have to make the variables of the flash movie available to the html form.

-to do so, you have to send the the variables in the flash movie to the html form, or as Michael Bedar said: "You would need to call a javascript function from AS when the user clicks the inside swf and set the value of a hidden form field".

- you call a javascipt function from a flash movie like: getURL("javascript:processFlashData(" + xVal + "," + yVal + ")");

- the js function needs to write the variables into hidden fiels in the html form.

one more thing:
"I've always thought you used loadVariables to call an (in my experience) ASP or PHP page that talked to the database." thats true, but you dont want to send the variables from the flash movie to the db, you want the html form to do that...

gr,
Benjamin Herholz | Code

www.dawn2.com
Hamburg - Copenhagen