Ok. Since I was the 'ass' that started this junk by asking why "this" was needed, maybe I can be the 'ass' that will end it.

This thread started with Andreas asking about addChild.  Fair enough.

I asked about a specific example that used "this" on a method which was a member of the same class and was invoked by using this.member. I was curious why that was there, nothing more, as I haven't explored AS3 too much.

Is it too hard to just answer the question at hand without providing more information than is really necessary and making some of us think we're being patronized?

Can we move on to some more high-level stuff already?

cheers,

Jon