I had thought of something like this. A sort of autocomplete. But the
problem is that people with lots of different native languages are going to
be using this, and they might not always know the spelling of their country
name in English. They'd only have to know the first letter, but in the case
of Finland (Suomi) that would already create a problem.

I like the idea of giving, say, the twenty most likely countries upfront,
and putting the rest in some sort of alphabetical system.

Organising all the countries per continent/area is unfeasible, since i only
have an alphabetical list. The client wants *all* countries in there, but I
doubt very much that anyone outside Europe (or outside Germany, France,
Holland, Belgium, Italy, Spain and the UK) will ever place an order. So I'd
prefer not to spend too much time picking central African countries from an
alphabetical list ;-)

--
Toon Van de Putte