Wow such great responses! thanks a lot! Thanks for sending the docu Wade!

I have a few questions.. what is a RIA?

"then I was drawn into using it for data display."
Data display.. The only thing I can think of is php/actionscript for sites?
I'm sure there is more then what i can think of.

I've also asked this question on the Kirupa forum.. It seems that Colin
Moock's get's mentioned quite a few times.
Think I'll be asking the Flash MX definitive guide, 2nd edition for x-mas,
hehe.

As Flash 8 is already here.. should i get a book based on that version or is
the step from MX to 8 really small?

Thanks so much again for all the input!