I want to create a random wave pattern on a single line using the drawing API. Can anyone suggest a starting point for creating and drawing the random motion?
I need to vary the amplitude.

I seem to recall seeing a downloadable flash demo/tutorial of motion on an animated wave path, I believe it was a boat on waves, but I forget

Are you talking about an animated wave, or a single line with a wavy pattern? To make a wavy line, the simplest method is to use a combination af sine waves: for each x, set eg y=t1*sin(w1*x+p1)+t2*sin(w2*x+p2)+... Choose random values for each of the p,t,w, and you'll have a random wavy pattern.

Danny