Sure, it can already be done without binary sockets using a simple xml socket based server which translates whichever protocol to and from XML, for instance theres already flosc, a flash / java solution for OSC communication, and the same idea can be done for MIDI...but it would just be nice to minimise the number of pieces in the puzzle. :)

still, my main interest is still in getting better sound in flash itself.

I agree with you in that i see no reason not to allow access to the sound buffer of flash itself. Its no different from writing bitmap data.

thanks,

Martin

hank williams wrote:
Of course, in thinking about this, with the new binary socket
functionality, midi control could all be done by just writing a simple
localhost to midi gateway. This would be pretty simple to do, and is
probably what is needed anyway to deal with different drivers etc. And
it makes total sense that if you want to control some local hardware
that you need to download a piece of software.

problem solved!!  :)

Regards
Hank