Have you investigated the string table? (Press CTRL+F11 in authoring)

We use the MX04 string table alongside a (heavily modified) version of the
built-in Locale code all the time. We also use our own handrolled XML string
tables (just files full of tagged-up string resources), depending on the
circumstances.

This lets you put some sort of symbol in your code - e.g.

myField.text=Locale.loadString("IDS_TITLE");

and then you change either a value in the string table (if you're doing it
that way) or a value in an XML file somewhere.

e.g. (fragment of standard Macromedia string table XML)
<trans-unit id="001" resname="IDS_TITLE">
     <source>Main Menu</source>
</trans-unit>

Hope that's useful,
  Ian