So are you using loadMovieNum("resource.swf", intDepth);? Can you give
me some example code please? This sounds useful.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ian
Thomas
Sent: 13 December 2005 09:58
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Linkage nightmares

We use a vaguely similar method for theming our applications. These are
very
simple apps which have (as standard) navigation buttons, minimize
buttons,
settings, help dialogs, exit dialogs etc. All the dialog items, happily,
are
_above_ (in display depth) the functionality of the main app. So all
we've
done is to store the graphics for the dialogs and buttons in the library
of
a seperate .swf (under a set of 'expected' symbol names - set for
export,
but with no classes specified).

We decide which theme to use at runtime and load the appropriate
dialogs.swfinto a layer above the main app. Then when we need to show
buttons or
dialogs we use attachMovie _within_ the loaded dialogs.swf, but using
dynamically assigned classes via Object.register (so that the
button/dialog
behaviour code is coming from the main movie, not from the loaded swf).

So what we get out of that is a library of graphic symbols containing no
code that we can attach at runtime and display as needed.

Of course, the huge drawback is that all these assets will only display
on
the one layer - above the main app. Happily that suits our purposes. But
clearly isn't ideal.

Roll on AS3 - being able to attach assets anywhere in the display chain
is a
_huge_ benefit.

Ian