This is OT and I apologize in advnce but I think this is the population that
would have had the most experience about this type of situation.

I had been working as a Flash developer for an elearning company for about a
year and a half and after they stopped doing business and I went to the
unemployment  office I was informed that there is no record of me having
worked there.  When I called the company to follow up I was informed that I
was considered an independent contractor and therefore not entitled to any
unemployment benefits etc.
>From the research that I have done it seems to me that by controlling the
hours that I was supposed to work, when and where I did the work and
micromanaging every aspect of how the project was done that they eliminated
they eliminated their stake at me being an independent contractor.

If anyone has had any experience or knowledge about this type of situation
and where I stand and how I should go about handling this situation I would
greatly appreciate any advice about this.

Thanks,
Mani