Keep the captions in an external XML file.  Have an event trigger a text
field to update.  For example, I use Xpath and wrote this function,
which updates based on a movie's current frame (because I am using the
media playback component's cue points which advance the frames based on
the cue points) - but could be any event:

function showCaption(thisFrame:Number):Void{
        caption_txt.text =
XPath.selectNodes(_parent.session.data.xmlFiles["content_xml"],"content/
welcome/message/caption["+(thisFrame-1)+"[EMAIL PROTECTED]");
}

showCaption(theMovieClip._currentframe);

Jason Merrill   |   E-Learning Solutions   |  icfconsulting.com

If
>>> you mean video clips, then Flash MX 2004 and Flash 8 have built-in
cue
>>> point features.  Coincidentally, I was just doing some of this last
>>> night for a Flash 7 file.  Using the Media Playback component, you
can
>>> add cue points to video and display text on screen.  I've even got
the
>>> caption text in an external XML file that the client can edit if
they
>>> need.  Pretty easy to set up and looks pretty slick too. Information
is