You should be able to delete the folder you imported into the repo, but I am hesitant to tell you to delete anything just in case.

I have not used the native filesystem method, I'm using the BerkeleyDB method on a linux box. I believe there is no way to convert, but you can always export the repo, then create a new repo using the FS method.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05.html#svn-ch-5-sect-1.3
Using the native filesystem is probably better, but it isn't saving the files as normal files, but in a custom subversion format. Subversion never has a complete 'normal' copy of your files in the repository, since it saves only the changes to the files, and never the full file(except when you first import).

Subversion rules, btw. Once you get used to using it, you'll never look back. Enjoy!

Mike Boutin wrote:

Perfect this is what I was just reading in TortoiseSVN help. I just wasnt sure if I could then delete the folder I had imported. It says in the help that their are 2 ways in which it can store the files, in a db, or in the native filesystem. How do you change between the two and will using the native filesystem store the files outside of a db? Thanks for all your help by the way.

Chris Hill wrote:

I believe the issue is that you don't need to stick your project into c:\svnrepos\project1. When you create the repos, it creates a dir structure like this:

conf/  dav/  db/  format  hooks/  locks/  README.txt

And saves your files in its own special way. After you import the c:\svnrpos\project1 folder into the repository, its not part of the repository. If that makes sense. You can safely delete that dir, unless you want it as a backup until you get more comfy with svn. Subversion keeps the files inside its db in its own special format, only keeping the parts of the files that have changed between revisions to save disk space.

Mike Boutin wrote:

Just a few questions about SVN & TortoiseSVN. I have ran the 1 click setup SVN that installs Subversion and TortoiseSVN. It created the repository in c:\svnrepos

I stuck my project in a folder c:\svnrepos\project1, then I import it into the repos. Now when I make a new directory and use CHeckout, all the files from c:\svnrepos show up with checkmarks by them. Now if I create a new textfile in the checkout dir, and update it into the repos, and then I check c:\svnrepos\project1, the file i created isnt anywhere to be found except in the checkout dir. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? Thanks!

<  |  |  \/ ___\  Chris Hill              >
<  |  |  / /_/  > [EMAIL PROTECTED]    >
<  |____/\___  /  http://ubergeek.tv      >
<       /_____/   The Smell of Geek!      >