Hi John,

I'd be interested to know what the reasons were for the settings manager being on a macromedia web page rather than in a local dialogue box.

UI size is one issue... if you're viewing a 60-pixel-square SWF, there's no room for an internal dialog. There are also localization and update issues.

I guess I can understand that, but I can't help but think that the web UI is a step too far. I certainly hope that it's viewed more as a short-term hack than a long-term solution. In our experience users just don't get the concept of going to a public web page to manage settings on their personal computer, and so we're having to hand hold our clients through this process.

That approach of using a full webpage UI to examine local settings is clever, but has been too novel for many people... I know there have been internal discussions on how to improve the next generation, but I don't yet know how these discussions may manifest in new UIs.

I'm glad to hear that this is being looked at and discussed. Just knowing that this is happening has reassured me that the current situation will not persist forever.

Many thanks,

Steve

--
Steve Webster