Ran into this in the past... Here are 2 workarounds we received from our
Macromedia (at the time) support rep.  These workarounds fixed the issue
in Flash Player 7, but I think they may have been broken by Player 8 -
since I've received bug reports about this again since Player 8 has come
out - just havent had time to test it properly with Player 8 yet.
Please let me know what you find:

Subject: Macromedia Product Support Ticket [8286652] Enhanced DataGrid
Render issue

I have a few cleaner solutions for you to try with the datagrid.
The sizing logic for the data grid is inaccurate with dimensions of the
datagrid when the datagrid is added to the stage dynamically resulting
in duplicate rows.
To work around this issue use one of the following lines:
<DataGrid Instance Name>.setSize(500, (<DataGrid Instance
Name>.rowHeight * <DataGrid Instance Name>.rowCount)+<DataGrid Instance
Name>.rowCount);
//or
<DataGrid Instance Name>.rowCount = (<DataGrid Instance Name>.height -
<DataGrid Instance Name>.headerHeight)/<DataGrid Instance
Name>.rowHeight;
Let me know if that works out for you.
-Ken
Kenneth J. Toley
Flash Support Team Lead
Flash ActionScript/Application Architecture

Bob