On 12/26/05, Toon Van de Putte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a math question:
>
> How can i find the x,y coordinates of a point at a known equal distance
> from
> two other, known, points?

Well if it is strictly a math question the most straightforward way
might be analytic: solve the system of two equations
for the circles of radius d about the two points, as shown at
http://www.ping.be/~ping1339/circle.htm#Intersection-points-

But I guess you might be wanting to find a code solution.  I think
I have an idea:

Use matrix operations to rotate the line connecting P1 and P2
to horizontal and translate it to the X axis with midpoint at the
origin.  Concat these operations into a single Matrix.

The desired point(s) will now be found on the y axis with ordinate
equal to + or - sqrt(d * d - x * x), where d is your desired distance
and x is the current transformed abscissa of P2 (if d >= x that is).

The invert the matrix  and apply it to the points you found.

What do you think?

-A