Thanks Danny, I'll have to do some work and see how I get on.

Cheers again.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Danny
Kodicek
Sent: 30 December 2005 11:40
To: Flashcoders mailing list
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] FW: Domino Game

> I'm specifically after how to approach 'dealing' the dominos (taking
> the 28 original dominos and randomly assigning them to either of two
> players)

That's easy enough. Take a list of dominos (probably a list of
two-element
arrays like [0,0]) and randomise it. Here's a simple randomise function
(NB:
it destroys the original list):

function randomise(tArray:Array) {
var tRet:Array = new Array()
while (tArray.length>0) {
var r:Number=Math.floor(Math.random()*tArray.length)
tRet.push(tArray[r])
tArray.splice(0,1)
}
return tRet
}

(Warning: email code may be flawed...)

and how to approach the 'logic' of game moves (how to decide
> whether someone can move a particular domino onto the board or not.

I would keep hold of a variable for each of the two ends of the chain
(assuming you're not allowing side-branching). When they want to add a
domino, just check if either of its elements matches either of these
numbers; if so, it can be added.

You'll find the most tricky bit of logic will be fitting the dominoes
into
the space. To keep it simple, I'd arrange them in a loop around the
outside
of the game area. Make sure the 28 dominoes will fit in the space, then
just
build in either direction from the starting point. Guaranteed success :)

HTH
Danny