Hi,

I ran into the exact same problem about a year ago... The XML class doesn't
really make it easy to extend... The way I solved it is by overriding all
necessary methods of the XML class with methods in my extended version, so
EXML in your case.
E.g.

function someOverridenMethod():EXML {
  // do some other stuff
   return new EXML( this.cloneNode(true).toString() );
}

That way all instances of XMLNode are converted to EXML before being
returned.
This could of course also be used for newly added methods in your extended
class...

Hope that helps.
Jan