Just a small hand here, the performance actually is quite ok on my pc?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Christian Giordano
Sent: donderdag 9 februari 2006 10:23
To: flashcoders
Subject: [Flashcoders] 32bit gradient mask performances

Hi guys, I recently wrote a class to handle this kind of effects in
animation context, so applied to movieclips NOT bitmaps, but when the
masks I handle start to be bigger the performance sucks. It's obvious
but I'm just wondering if there is a better way that the one I'm using.

Here my procedure:

- draw with draw api a gradient fill in a movieclip (mask_mc),
0x00ffffff to 0xffffffff
- create a new BitmapData (mask_bd) to copy the content of the gradient
mask
- draw mask_mc in mask_bd
- create a new BitmapData (image_bd) to contain the movieclip to be
masked
- draw the movieclip in image_bd
- create a new BitmapData (picture_bd) to contain the final result
- copy image_bd to picture_bd using mask_bd as mask

Of course doing this operation every frame with large images sucks, is
there a way to skip some steps?

Here the actual result:

http://nuthinking.com/f8/gradient_mask.html

thanks a lot, chr