From: "Grant Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:47 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] Actionscript preprocessor

I am currently using Eclipse, MTASC and ANT for my development (on
Windows), and this is working well.  However, while I currently have
"release" and "debug" ANT targets, these really only change a couple of
MTASC compile options (ie tracing).  I have decided that a better
solution is needed, to allow a "release" build to exclude NetDebug, to
automatically change some config options, and also to integrate build
numbers.

So, preprocessing.  After some searching, I found cpp (
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/ ), filepp (
http://www.cabaret.demon.co.uk/filepp/ ), and jappo (
http://jappo.opensourcefinland.org/ ).

However.

cpp - linux application, the only Windows version I can see is via
cygwin.  And installing this on every development machine, for a single
utility seems overkill.  Plus, cpp seems to have the least features, and
the filepp docs suggest it may leave strange comments in output files.

filepp - Perl module, which should be fine (all development machines
have ActivePerl installed).  Except the download contains source files,
and a bash script to create the application.  So, again I'm kind of
stuck being on Windows.

jappo - Java .jar, with ANT integration.  Sounds perfect.  Except that
after I work out how to reference the jar correctly in EclipseAnt and it
runs, it gives errors about missing classes (ie
"org/apache/xpath/XPathAPI" ).  I downloaded the XPath addon for
Eclipse, but this didn't help.  I can't run any of the jappo samples
either, as I don't have the Java SDK (currently downloading).

Has anyone successfully used a preprocessor for Actionscript on Windows,
and do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Grant Cox