On 2/15/06, Wade Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1.) When should you start developing client application in flex 2.0? We
> have clients that are interested in using flex rather that Java
> Webstart for current applications. Is Flex 2.0 ready for us to start
> developing for production use? What quarter '06 '07 is production use
> possible?

You should start now to get up to speed with Flex 2 as it sounds like
you haven't used it before. And only deploy after rebuilding and
testing wit the released version.

> 2.) When will an AS3 capable player be released publicly?

As I understand, it should be released by the middle of the year.

> 4.) What will pricing be like to deploy a flex 2.0 application on a
> server? We are specifically looking to use it for a "shopping cart"
> inventory management application with db connection via Hibernate. Is
> this something that will require a license? I can't even seem to get
> pricing out of Adobe. I assume that this means we are quarters away
> from doing production deployments?

Unless you plan to use Flex Enterprise Services (FES), everything
necessary to build, test and deploy an application is free. Flex
Builder IDE  is not, its slated to be less US$1000. If you do plan to
use FES, the limited connection version is free, but I don't how many
connections it's limited to. That will, of course, depend on how many
simultaneous connections to the server you are expecting. And there
are other ways to connect to the server, such as Flash Remoting and
Web Services. The server side costs vary from free and up depending on
your server needs.

Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Sydney Flash Platform Developers Group