I have this high volume chat app, and I was having a problem before because we were compiling to a v7 swf, and when people would view it in the v8 player the formatting would occasionally go wacky. Basically, everything would be fine for a while, but then every now and then, when the field was updated, all of the text would wrap at something like 50 pixels, which pretty much makes the text unreadable. Then as soon as the next message was added it would straighten itself out. I hammered on this problem for a week straight, trying all kinds of different things, and used xray to view the HTMLtext for the field to see if there was some broken HTML in there that was screwing up the way it rendered. Nothing. I even tried going back to using plain text and TextFormat objects, but it was way too processor intensive to loop through the whole chat history and mark up the names and stuff every time a new message showed up. So I gave up and tried exporting for v8, figuring that it was some kind of bug with v7 text fields under Saffron or something like that.

Now I have a whole new problem. Everything renders great, the old bug is gone. But my chat history field allows you to click on a user's name to view their profile, using asfunction to call a method in the main class (<a href='asfunction:_root.Main.SelectUser,123'> where 123 is the user's id). This works fine too, except that when you click on a user name, the formatting breaks. Worse, it's like the closing </a> tag gets removed, because all of the text in the message becomes a link, and incidentally, becomes bold and underlined, just like the user's name. It doesn't happen before you click, everything renders just right before you click, but as soon as you click on a user name, the whole thing breaks. What is up with that?

Can anyone shed any light on either of these problems? Optimally, I would like to go back to compiling for v7 and just not have the formatting bug, but if that's not possible, I'd be happy just to have asfunction work properly under v8.

   I can post sample code, html output, or screenshots if it will help.

ryanm