clip.onLoad();

usually works fine for me. Unless your attaching a substantial amount of clips at run time. Then what you need to do is attach one. wait for a load event to be fired. then load the next clip. loading a substantial amount of clips at one time will get varied results when it comes to calling methods on them. Then once all of them have been loaded call like a finalInit method or something to set up the rest of the app.

SMITH