Hi- I have a pretty complicated question for the wizards on Flashcoders.
The short version is:
  How can I unload a Flash component such that I can cleanly load a newer
version of the same component, and then use the newer code?

The long version is:
+ My team is building a Flash application and a set of specially designed
Flash components.
+ The application and components know how to interact with each other
through pre-defined interfaces and extension points.
+ Designers will use the components to build Flash movies, which will be
redistributed to end-users as SWFs that will be loaded by the application.
+ It is inevitable that we will have to release multiple versions of the
components, but we will not be able to update the Flash movies created by
the designers.

The challenge is how to deal with multiple versions of a given component.

For example:
1) We release Version 1 of the FooComponent.
2) Designer Bob creates the Bar SWF using FooComponent V1.
3) User John gets the Bar SWF.
4) We release Version 2 of FooComponent.
3) Designer Frank creates the Zot SWF using FooComponent V2.
4) User John gets the Zot SWF.

Our Flash application needs to first load Bar SWF and then later Zot SWF (or
vice-versa) correctly (in the same Flash Player instance). Since we cannot
make any assumptions about how we might change the components, our desired
goal is to make sure that each SWF (with its version of FooComponent) is
loaded fully independently.

A quick test indicated that the first loaded version of FooComponent wins
out over later versions of FooComponent.

Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions to make our needs work? Maybe
a neat Object.registerClass() hack? Perhaps a Flash equivalent to Java's
ClassLoader?

Thx,
Shy Aberman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]