I searched the archive for object.watch and found that object.watch can't check getter/setters. my question is can it watch a read-only? http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/mailman/htdig/flashcoders/2002-April/ 030960.html

I want to watch a read-only property of an object -- basically, I want a make a Movieclip._currentLabel in actionscript 2.0 b/c my audience can't go to flash8 yet

  Movie Clip: Frame=47 Target="_level0.play_this_audio" Label="1"
  //This is returned when you list objects in the flash export movie
  //(cmnd+enter = cmnd+L)

  How can I watch the Label of a movie clip?

That is to say, I have a external swf that contains labels, 0, 1, 2, 3, etc and an audio track.

This swf, swf one, is called into swf two, which contains photos. while the swf one plays its audio, every few seconds along the timeline it fires off a function that makes swf two advance to a different photo.

The problem is, I want the correct photo to come up when the user begins to navigate via a nonlinear draggable timeline representation of the audio length. (meaning - everything is fine if people can't do anything but watch it - the minute they skip back/forward it all becomes out of sync)

It seems the only way to do this dynamically is to know which photo should be displaying at that point via a range - like frame label

Essentially, the movie will move to the correct photo anyway during playback after the audio hits a keyframe with an advance function. However, I want it to happen as soon as the user releases the draggable timeline - the same time as the stopdrag() command. This is so the audio and photos won't ever become out of sync

  //pseudo code

  controlNavBar.controlCircle_mc.onReleaseOutside=function () {

       stopDrag();
      timelineLength =  150;
var jumpPoint = int((controlNavBar.controlCircle_mc._x/ timelineLength)*allFramesInAudio);

        // move the audio to the exact location from draggable bar
        _root.play_this_audio.gotoAndPlay(jumpPoint);

var whichPictureToSee = object.watch(_root.play_this_audio, "Label");

        if (whichPictureToSee != 0) {
        // jump to correct image when the audio has been adjusted
        markerPic(whichPictureToSee);
        } else {
        // get first image in zero-index array
        markerPic(0);
        }

// end pseudo code

I have been digging around for some type of dynamic answer, I don't know that object.watch works like this at all, but I don't really have any ideas. I want to know the frame label, or count the number of actions/function calls without having to play the audio first and do a count using i++ or something. This is all for the sake of the user being able to rewind / fast-forward / jump around in the audio - while seeing the correct visuals

thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on my question / problem

-gregory